January 21, 2010

A Poem From Phillis Wheatley


Phillis Wheatley has long been one of my heroes. I first heard of her several years ago on an episode of 'Liberty's Kids' ( do any of you remember that show? ), and I have loved and admired this beautiful woman of God ever since.
I thought I would share with you this powerful poem she wrote, it is a precious testimony to God's Providence.



On Being Brought from Africa to America
Twas mercy brought me from my
pagan land,
Taught my benighted soul to
understand
That there's a God, that there's a
Savior too:
Once I redemption neither sought
nor knew.
Some view our sable race with
scornful eye,
"Their color is a diabolic die''.
Remember, Christians, Negroes,
black as Cain,
May be refin'd, and join th' angelic
train.
--Written By Phillis Wheatley, at the age of 13


I just had to share that with all of you. What a strong spirit for the Lord she had!
I pray that you were blessed by these lovely words...and she wrote them at 13!!!

Have a gorgeous day!

~Emily

P.S. Hey, I didn't get any mean comments when I didn't post once a week like I had said I would...where are you guys?!? tee-hee!

6 comments:

  1. I can't believe she was only 13! It's a great poem though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily! Just thought I'd say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a wonderful poem, Em...
    Thank you for sharing and that was the perfect post! It was inspiring to know her strength and way with words when she was only 13!

    Love Always, sista!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for dropping by my blog Emily! Wow, what a place you got here..beautiful music and thoughts. You are a wonderful witness for Jesus. Keep on keepin' on :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've grown so much having you as a daughter, but I cherish your love and friendship. You are a precious jewel in the treasure chest of life.
    Your memory of Bible and discernment, diligence and artistry, illustrations and allusions are an inspiration. Treasure this time in your life, it changes in the blink of an eye. My prayers and Love go with you as you develop your Song of The Sea! XO, Mamalisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Em for blessing me. To have the privilege to be your grandma is one of God's kindnesses to me.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!